Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Pear Pie


A Slice Of Heaven
                                                                                         
One Of Our Pear Trees
                                                                                              
PEAR PIE

1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

6 - 8 medium sized pears peeled and sliced. Bartlett is best.

2  nine inch pastry shells (I use shells that I have made ahead of time and stored in the freezer.)*

1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice

1/4-1/2 tsp of sugar to sprinkle on top crust

Measure the first 5 ingredients into a large bowl, Stir. Add pears and toss. Pour pear mixture into pie shell. Drizzle lemon juice over top. Dampen crust edges, lay top crust over. Trim and crimp to seal. Cut slits in top and sprinkle with sugar. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet to catch any overflow during baking. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 60 minutes until golden brown. 


Pear Pie
                                                                                           
*I usually freeze the pie shells in twos in a large freezer bag with a sheet of waxed paper in between them. So handy to pull out a couple of shells when you just want to make one double crust pie. No muss no fuss. 
I made ten 9 inch shells from 1 lb of Tenderflake Lard
                                                                                          
**NOTE: I like to make extra pies and freeze them unbaked for later. (I have done this with the pie shells that I have pre-made but I prefer to make the shells 'fresh' when I know I will be putting the pies in the freezer for later.) These pies I will bake from frozen at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes and then lower the temperature to 350 for about 45 minutes until golden brown.

#Pie #Pear

No comments:

Post a Comment