Friday, December 5, 2014

Surprise! It's Leftover Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes!

Do you remember that yummy meatloaf I had made a few days ago?
Ma's Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes
Well we had some leftover and I wanted to show you what I do with leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes. :D  I had enough leftover to make two new 'loaves'.  I buttered two loaf pans and then spread my mashed potatoes on the bottom of the pans.  I didn't have any corn leftover, so I opened a can of peas and put them over the mashed potatoes. Then I sliced up the leftover meatloaf and covered the peas.


Next I made some Bechamel Sauce to pour over top. 

Bechamel Cream Sauce

4 tbsp  butter
4 tbsp flour
3 cups milk
2 slightly beaten eggs
1/4 tsp salt

Melt the butter in a sauce pan, remove from heat and stir in the flour a tablespoon at a time, blending until smooth with a whisk. Slowly add the milk, stirring all the time. Add the slightly beaten eggs (I usually add the salt to the eggs). Cook over low heat stirring until thick. 
Bechamel Sauce
Spread the bechamel sauce evenly over top of the meatloaf.  Sprinkle some bread crumbs and parmesan cheese over top.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 to 40 minutes, until custard has set. If the top is not browned enough, place under broiler for a few minutes watching carefully so as not to burn. Let the loaf sit before cutting so that it will hold it's shape. Otherwise, it will look more like a thick soup.  :P
'Leftover Meatloaf and Mashed Potato' Loaf





No comments:

Post a Comment