Sunday, January 25, 2015

Cheesy Minty Meatball Subs

Meatballs with Cheese and Sauce
This recipe was inspired by my friend Jodie at The Blind Lady Cafe.  It is a variation of her recipe for French Onion Meatball MozzaBake.


Cheesy Minty Meatball Subs

4 lb lean ground beef
4 eggs
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried mint

1 680 ml can pasta sauce (approx 3 cups) - I used Primo Hot and Spicy
1 500g block mozzarella cheese (1 lb) - shredded

Hot dog buns

Preheat the oven on broil.  I mixed the ingredients well, being careful not to over mix as that will make the meatballs tough.  I shaped the mixture into two inch meatballs and placed them in a large foil lined pan. (I lined the pan with foil so I don't have to clean it after.)  I then placed the pan on the top rack and browned the meatballs and then turned them over and browned the other side.  It was approximately 6 minutes each side but I always check one by cutting it in half to make sure it is cooked through. 
Broiled Meatballs
In another smaller pan I spread about a third of the pasta sauce on the bottom and placed a layer of half of the meatballs on top.  I then put another third of the sauce on top of the meatballs and half of the shredded cheese.  On top of the cheese went rest of the meatballs, sauce, then cheese.  I then placed this pan in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
Meatballs with Cheese and Sauce in the oven
I scooped out the meatballs into the hot dog buns and made sure I got some cheese and sauce on there too.  The kids loved it.  :)

Cheesy Minty Meatball Sub
#Subs #Beef #Meatballs

No comments:

Post a Comment