Thursday, January 1, 2015

Tea Biscuits

This recipe was given to me by a dear friend. Her family has been making these for a long, long, time and it is a family tradition to make these tea biscuits for Christmas as gifts. I made the whole batch of biscuit blend the other day and got almost 100 tea biscuits! Needless to say we are now in tea biscuit heaven.

  
Biscuit Blend

14 cups all purpose flour
5 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp salt
3/4 cups white sugar
1 lb lard

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and white sugar. Cut in the lard and mix with your hands until the lard has broken down into little pieces. Store in an air tight container or freezer bags and keep in a cool dry place.


Tea Biscuits
Tea Biscuits

2 cups of biscuit blend
3/4 cups of milk

In a smaller bowl, with a fork, mix the biscuit blend and milk into a soft dough. Knead on floured surface and roll out to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Cut out in small rounds, dipping the cutter into the flour so as not to stick. Bake in preheated oven on middle rack at 450 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Once done, you need to take them off the tray and flip them over to cool. If you wish to make more than one batch, these freeze really well.

Variations: You can add raisins, shredded cheese etc... to the dough. My friend grew up eating these biscuits warm, with butter and brown sugar on top. I like them warm with butter and raspberry jam.  

#TeaBiscuits

8 comments:

  1. Tea biscuits are a favourite for I and She Who Must Be Obeyed. I like the looks of this version and will give it a try.

    The Old Fat Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Let me know what you think when you do. :D

      Delete
  2. I love this old fashioned recipe. Will spread some love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tea biscuits. It's so nice to see a from scratch recipe - and I love the idea of having the biscuit mix on hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too April! It's a great recipe and I love that it's so easy. :D

      Delete