Friday, April 24, 2015

Sausage and Pepper Pizza

Sausage and Pepper Pizza
Pizza dough (I made mine in the breadmaker which makes two 14 inch pizzas)

Primo Romano Cheese and Basil Sauce
1 500g bar Black Diamond Mozzarella Cheese, grated (~1 lb)

450g of Johnsonville Fresh Italian Mild Ground Sausage (~1 lb)
1 red pepper, sliced
1/2 medium sized onion, sliced

Let's start with the dough. I have a Zojirushi Bread Maker which I love, love, love. Forty five minutes later, dough is ready! I cut the dough into two and start rolling it out on a floured surface. I will lightly grease the pans with olive oil and then place the rolled out dough on them. Now the fun part, toppings! My boys love Italian sausage. On the package it states you can put the sausage on the pizza raw, in dime sized pieces, but I decided to fry up the sausage a little before putting it on the pizza. This way you can also get rid of some of the extra oils that come off of the sausage before it goes on the pizza. Not a fan of greasy pizza! So, first spread the romano cheese and basil sauce onto the dough, the amount, to your liking of course.
I divide the fried sausage bits into four parts and sprinkle one of the quarters onto the pizza sauce. Then I grate half of the bar of mozzarella cheese on top of the sausage. Next, more sausage! Sprinkle another 1/4 of the sausage onto the cheese. Place red pepper and onion slices on top. Repeat with the second pizza or, if you'd like, save the rest of the sausage, pepper and onion for some yummy omelettes the next morning and make your second pizza with different toppings. I made two sausage and pepper pizzas because my oldest can polish off one all on his own.
In a preheated oven at 400 degrees place your pizzas on the top two racks. After 15 minutes switch the pizzas and cook for about 12 minutes more. I will check the bottom of the pizza at this time to see if the dough needs more time to bake. Also keep an eye on the cheese and toppings so they don't burn. What I find for me is that one of the pizzas will be ready to come out and the other just needs 2 more minutes but the time will vary depending on your oven and the types of pizza pans that you use.

These are mine.  :D
#Pizza #Sausage #Pepper #Johnsonville #Zojirushi #BlackDiamond #Primo 

4 comments: