Monday, June 1, 2015

Cherry Rhubarb Pie

Cherry Rhubarb Pie
My pie shells are ready!
Rhubarb from the garden.
Rhubarb mixed with Cherry Pie Filling

Pour it in.
Six inch Cherry Rhubarb Pies

Extra pie shells for the freezer.
2 nine inch unbaked pie shells (I make the shells from Tenderflake lard and store any extra shells in the freezer)

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
2 cups diced rhubarb, unpeeled
1/2 can cherry pie filling (270ml) approx. 9 oz.
Sugar to sprinkle over top crust.

In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugars, then mix in the rhubarb.  Add the cherry filling and stir to combine. Pour this mixture into the pie shell.  Dampen crust edges, lay top crust over.  Trim and crimp to seal.  Cut slits in top and sprinkle with sugar.  

Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.  (If you have a convection oven you can bake on convection for the last 5 minutes or until the top is a nice golden brown colour.) I recommend you put the pie on a baking sheet as the filling will tend to escape.  :D 

#rhubarb #cherry #pie

10 comments:

  1. Lovely combination! I never thought of pairing rhubarb and cherries together but I bet it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're killing me with all this rhubarb, I'm soooo jealous! Must go find some at the farmer's market Wednesday! Can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think when you do Debra. :D

      Delete
  3. Dear Christine, I love the cherry and rhubarb together...looks absolutely wonderful! xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great looking pies!! Love the combo of cherries and rhubarb!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love your recipe. Thank you! Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete