Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Unstuffed Zucchini Casserole (made with stuffing from the Yemista recipe)

How good does this look?
Do you remember the Yemista (Greek Stuffed Vegetables) that I shared with you?  Well this is another dish you can make with the leftover stuffing or you can just make the stuffing specifically for this recipe and skip the stuffing of the vegetables altogether. So easy and so good!  Of course there are no measurements...you really should know me by now. :P

The size of the pan will depend upon how much stuffing you have. I had enough for two layers of stuffing in my pan (10 inch diameter with a height of 2 1/2 inches). 

You will also need:
zucchini (sliced about 1/4 inch thick) I sliced enough for three layers**
olive oil
salt
tomato sauce (I used one 680ml can of Primo Tomato Basil Sauce)

Spread some of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan and then place a layer of zucchini on top. Sprinkle the zucchini with salt and drizzle some olive oil over top.  Then spread on some tomato sauce.  Now you add the first layer of stuffing and spread some more sauce on top.


First layer of stuffing going over top.
Next, a layer of zucchini drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
Second layer of zucchini.
Then spread on some tomato sauce.  Now you add the second layer of stuffing, more sauce, the last layer of zucchini with olive oil, salt, and the rest of the tomato sauce on top.
Third layer of zucchini and ready for the oven.
I bake this at 375 degrees for 45 minutes covered and then 45 minutes uncovered.  I then lowered the temperature to 350 and baked on convection for another 15 minutes.
Just out of the oven.
We eat this with Greek Salad or Tomato Salad.  I like to add feta on top but you can add your favourite cheeses within and on top of the casserole.  As always have fun and make it your own. :D
Don't forget the feta!


**I like my zucchini with a little bite to it so I put them in the casserole raw, but if you don't, I would suggest slightly cooking the slices to soften them up a bit before putting them in the casserole... frying, broiling, or grilling on the BBQ, whatever tickles your fancy. 

#rice #Greek #zucchini #beef #casserole #leftovers

2 comments: